Processing Project Overview

So today (well tomorrow morning) marks the end of the Design Iterations unit, along with the end of the Processing design project. Although the end product was not 100% as I wanted it, I have learnt vast amounts from the iterative design process which contributed to the project from day 1.

The fact is, you can’t just go straight from an idea to the final product. If you want to create products that will be a success, you have to go through stages of research and testing before starting work on anything. During the project I got to discover different aspects of a project cycle which I had not thought of before; such as user-testing and prototyping, undertaking observation, the difference between users and clients, pseudocode and usability and testing.

For this project, I went through three iterations due to trying to get to grips with each stage but at each stage made sure that what was found out was turned into improvements at the next stage:

Dorset Campaign Introduction          Processing Project Idea 1 + 2
Dorset Campaign Reflection               Processing Project Observations 1
Dorset Campaign Observations         Processing Project Testing 1 + 2
Dorset Campaign Testing                    Processing Project Results
Dorset Campaign Findings                 Processing Project Overview

I also had many workshops (see relevant posts) where I learnt how to program using processing which I will discuss in more detail below.

After finishing this project I thought I would reflect on the past 5 months and what I have got from it.

Starting off with processing, I found it rather tricky to use. However I am glad that I had the opportunity to work with it, as I had to use it for this project, I had to stick to it instead of just giving up with it when things got a little tough. Hopefully, I will be able to relate what I have learned with coding in this unit as I progress onto the ‘Applied Design’ unit where I will be using ‘Swift’ to create mobile applications.

I feel happy with the ending result of my project as, even though it wasn’t 100% as I wanted it to turn out, I was able to pull through to the end and create a piece of interactive art from scratch. This is something that I wouldn’t of ever thought of doing, being more of a designer at heart.

This process had definitely showed be how to, not only to design things in different stages, but to repeat practice (iteratively) to get a better result than I would do simply just heading straight to a computer and producing/handing over the first thing I create. This is something that I believe will have a significant impact on all my future work.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s